Define Conservation Practices
|This exercise is included in the tutorial: GeoAgro for FMP Development|
Exercise 01 - Draw conservation practices in the GIS
Start GeoAgro GIS by double clicking on its icon at your desktop;
You may also run it by using the Windows®
The Project Selection window will pop up. Select the 'Sample FMP' project that you restored in the initial project setup
- Double Click on the 'Fields_NRCS' layer to make it active
You will see the map below
- We are going to create a Forest Stand Improvement Practice (666). Click on the 'Practices Polygon' to make it active.
- Also, make sure that the background imagery is on by clicking on the eye of the 'WMS 2ft Color Imagery' layer
- Click on Drawing Tools from the Edition Panel, and then click on the Add New Object tool .
- you can Zoom in using Zooming Tools prior to drawing. You can also change the transparency of the 'Practices Polygon' layer by using the Layer Transparency Control. Start drawing a Forest Stand polygon, using the background imagery for guidance, to draw an approximate boundary around the Forest Stand.
- When you are done, double-click or right-click. The Conservation Practice is now created. If you would like to un-highlight the polygon, use the Remove Selection option from the Selection Tools
Exercise 02 - calculate the Practice acreage
- Make sure that the Practices Polygon layer is active by clicking on it.
- Select the created forest stand by using the Select by Point tool from the Selection Tools, and clicking on the recently created polygon.
- Click on the Information tool icon. . The attributes table will show. The column 'Area (Acres)' reports the acreage:2.85 ac. (it may vary, according to your own digitizing)
Exercise 03 - Report the conservation practice, using GeoAgro CPlanner
As a last step you can use GeoAgro CPlanner. These steps are covered in this learning guide Deliver your Conservation Plan