How to do a field navigation from a KMZ file
This tool will show you how to navigate sampling points in the .KMZ format using a mobile device. The tools to use will be:
- Google Drive: where sampling zones and points will be stored.
- Locus Map: we'll use this App to do the field navigation using a tablet or smartphone
|Note:||If you also need to produce the points, you may use this guide.|
|Note:||To use Google Drive, you need a Google Account. For more information, visit: https://accounts.google.com/|
We'll use Google Drive to share the KMZ file from your PC:
In your PC
- Open your web browser, then access Google Drive
- Go to your main Google Drive folder, then create a new folder and name it 360
- Access the 360 folder, then create a new folder with the name of your farm.
- Access the folder for your farm, then upload the KML files.
From your mobile device
- From your mobile device, open the Drive app.
- Access the 360 folder; then the farm folder.
- Select the KML file, then open its properties.
- Enable the "Download" option.
|Note:||To use Locus Map, you need to install it in your smartphone or tablet. For more information, visit: http://www.locusmap.eu/. Both the free and paid versions are suitable for this guide.|
We'll use Locus Map to navigate the sampling points.
These are the steps:
- From your mobile device, open Locus Map and open the menu.
- Tap on More to access the rest of the settings.
- Choose the Import data option.
- Browse to your downloads folder, then tap on the .KMZ file.
- Tap on Import.
- If a message such as the one shown below shows up, tap on "Apply to all" (A), then "Overwrite" (B)
- Locus Map will show your sampling points ready for navigation.