Composite sampling by zone protocol
The goal of this protocol is to organize the process to create zones for a particular field within a farm and use them to plan a field sampling.
First step is to create your management zones. The steps below will show you how to do it.
- Download productivity maps: If you are working with our Precision farming cycle or have ordered our Productivity maps, you may download them as shown in the linked guide.
- Restore your productivity maps into GeoAgro GIS
- Create a layer for your management zones: this layer will import data from your productivity maps which will be used as a basis for creating your management zones.
- Group your productivity zones into management zones: Productivity zones need to be grouped into simpler, easier to manage zones. The linked article will provide you with the steps for doing it, as well as some useful criteria.
You now have a layer of simplified management zones and can use it to plan your sampling, as shown in the next step.
Take composite samples by zone in the field, then send them to the lab
You will now have to go to the field and take your samples. This is how you should do it:
- Prepare your GPS for your field visit
- Connect your GPS to GeoAgro GIS: you need this to transfer your grid points from the previous step to your GPS device and use them in your sampling. These articles will help you with this:
- Upload your grid sampling points to your GPS device: you can now send the grid points for your management zones to your GPS device, and take them to the field.
- Go to the field
- Use the GPS points in your GPS device to go to the predefined locations
- Take your samples in each location
- Send your samples to the lab