How can I import a text file with GPS coordinates
Revision as of 16:59, 22 August 2012 by Ed
GeoAgro GIS allows to import GPS coordinates in a text file in the following sample format:
34.8734 -32.3232 34.6543 -32.4321 ...
|Note:||the text files can be delimited by comma or tabs|
|Note:||the GPS coordinates should be in decimal format|
In order to import the file, you should follow these steps:
- Create a layer where you'll be importing the points. Use the Create Vector layer tool, creating a layer with a point data structure containing fields 'Latitude' and 'Longitude', such as 'GPS Points'
- Select the Import Text tool
- The Import Text tool window will appear:
You should make sure that (see reference numbers in figure above):
1. browse and select the text file that contains your GPS coordinates
2. Select the layer name that you just created with the 'GPS Points'
3. Select the Latitude and Longitude column names (in the text file), to match Latitude and Longitude values
6. Check the option 'First row contains Attribute Names.