How to do a field navigation from a KMZ file
This tool will show you how to navigate sampling points in the field using a mobile device. The tools to use will be:
- GeoAgro GIS: where we will create the sampling zones and points to navigate in the field
- Google Drive: where sampling zones and points will be stored.
- Locus Map: we'll use this App to do the field navigation using a tablet or smartphone
Using GeoAgro GIS, we'll export the sample points to a .KMZ file following these steps:
- Click on the Export to a KMZ file (Google Earth) tool, which can be found among the Tools for exporting data
- To export:
- Select the layers you'd like to export
- Check the "Export layer with attributes" box
- Check the "Compatible with mobile devices" box
- Click on "Export"
- Enter a name for your KMZ export and browse to the destination folder.
[Note|it's required to have a google account to use Google Drive. For more information, visit: https://accounts.google.com/]
We'll use Google Drive to share the KMZ file from your PC:
In your PC
- Open your web browser, then access Google Drive
- Go to your main Google Drive folder, then create a new folder and name it 360
- Access the 360 folder, then create a new folder with the name of your farm.
- Access the folder for your farm, then upload the KML files.
From your mobile device
- From your mobile device, open the Drive app.
- Access the 360 folder; then the farm folder.
- Select the KML file, then open its properties.
- Enable the "Download" option.
We'll use Locus Map to navigate the sampling points. [Note|it's required to download the app Locus Map to your smartphone or tablet. For more information, visit: http://www.locusmap.eu/. Both the free and paid versions are suitable for this guide.]
These are the steps:
- From your mobile device, open Locus Map and open the menu.
- Tap on More to access the rest of the settings.
- Choose the Import data option.
- Browse to your downloads folder, then tap on the .KMZ file.
- Tap on Import.
- If a message such as the one shown below shows up, tap on "Apply to all" (A), then "Overwrite" (B)
- Locus Map will show your sampling points ready for navigation.