Proxy Yield Map Tutorial
For this tutorial we are going to use a sample farm in the Province of Buenos Aires.
The crop is sunflower, and the NDVI reference layer was generated from an image on December 2011, while the harvest was done during the first week of March 2012 (thus, the NDVI was acquired more than 60 days prior to harvest).
The purpose of the exercise is to:
- simulate that we're on the date that the NDVI image was taken
- apply 3 different sets of parameters to generate the corresponding proxy yield maps
- the points yield map is provided as a reference of the actual yields
To Enter the farm:
- go to www.geoagro.com, click on 'Farm Services Center' on the upper right.
- Login with user: [email protected], password: demo
- go to 'Farms shared with me'
- Select farm:
- You should see the main screen of this farm:
We are going to use as Reference layers:
- Normalized Differential Vegetation Index (NDVI), generated from a Rapideye image (5mt resolution), on Dec. 27th, 2011
- Yield points map, corresponding to harvest done on the first week of March, 2012.
To review these layers:
- Click on the//add button Navigation button
- In the references panel turn on the ...... layer
- In the references panel turn on the ...... layer'
- NDVI – 5mt – 12/27 //note the lack of symbology, add symbology in the picture
- actual yield - //note the lack of symbology, add symbology in the picture
- we are going to enter parameters to generate a proxy yield map, to see how this approximation compares with the actual yield.
- //put NDVI layer - //put
- Output layers
- Download sample data to a desktop GIS