Proxy Yield Map Tutorial
For this tutorial we are going to use a sample farm in the Province of Buenos Aires.
The crop is sunflower, and the NDVI reference layer was generated from an image on December 2011, while the harvest was done during the first week of March 2012 (thus, the NDVI was acquired more than 60 days prior to harvest).
The purpose of the exercise is to:
- simulate that we're on the date that the NDVI image was taken
- apply 3 different sets of parameters to generate the corresponding proxy yield maps
- the points yield map is provided as a reference of the actual yields
To Enter the farm:
- go to www.geoagro.com, click on 'Farm Services Center' on the upper right.
- Login with user: [email protected], password: demo
- go to 'Farms shared with me'
- Select farm:
- You should see the main screen of this farm:
We are going to use as Reference layers:
- Normalized Differential Vegetation Index (NDVI), generated from a Rapideye image (5mt resolution), on Dec. 27th, 2011
- Yield points map, corresponding to harvest done on the first week of March, 2012.
To review these layers:
- Click on the//add button Navigation button
- In the references panel turn on the ...... layer
- In the references panel turn on the ...... layer'
//put table with images + symbology.
//put warning lack of symbology, add symbology in the picture
We are going to generate three examples of proxy yield maps based on the NDVI map. We are going to review 3 cases, with:
- Mean yield of 2.257 tons/ha, and minimum/maximum yields of +/- 20%,
- Same mean yield, +/-30%,
- Same mean yield, and minimum, maximum yields corresponding to the min./max. values from the actual yield points map.
In a real case, these values are provide by the farm manager based on past experiences, and current crop conditions.
The adopted mean/min./max. yields for the three cases are shown in the following table:
|Field 1||NDVI||Yield +/- 20% [tn/ha]||Yield +/- 30% [tn/ha]||Actual Yield [tn/ha]|
Download sample data to a desktop GIS